Job Opportunity: Tissue Culture Laboratory Supervisor
HZPC Americas Corporation, located in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island is the North American seed potato partner of the HZPC Group. HZPC is a world leader in the marketing of seed potatoes for table-potato markets and processing. The key to HZPC's success is understanding customer's needs and supporting our seed varieties, thereby ensuring customers and growers are successful with our varieties. HZPC has an extensive research and development program as well as localized testing locations, which allows HZPC to develop potatoes varieties that match the requirements of our customers in North America. The Tissue Culture Laboratory Supervisor is a seasonal part-time position in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. The majority of the work being December - July. Reporting to the Accounting Manager of HZPC Americas.
Primary Goals of the Position
- Performing work in plant propagation of potatoes;
- Maintain in vitro conservation and also the variety collection;
- Plan and manage the activities in the plant propagation facility;
- Maintain a very clean environment;
- Keep propagation records up to date.
- The primary responsibility of the "Plant Tissue Culture Supervisor" will be to produce a sufficient number of plantlets by cutting stems in the clean bench.
- Together with Accounting Manager, organize and lead production projects in the field of plant tissue culture propagation, including the scheduling of work, premises and supplies.
- Maintenance variety line identity and purity.
- Maintain a clone bank of approximate 100 varieties.
- Maintain the laboratory facilities in good order and keep a very clean environment according to HZPC procedures.
- Preparing Medias using the appropriate ingredient.
- Be aware of potentially hazardous materials in the laboratory and take safety precautions involved in the work.
- Limit access to the laboratory to authorized personnel.
- Implement the appropriate operating rules in the laboratory.
- Administration of the potato collection, the production of plantlets and the production of minitubers,
- Continuously improve the tissue culture techniques for potatoes and stay current on new developments in plant tissue culture.
- Reporting on the work to the Accounting Manager or such other supervisor as HZPC Americas Corporation may direct, including the written report based on the collected data.
As the ideal candidate for this position, you are motivated, and can work independently or as part of a team. Candidates must have excellent finger dexterity, and be able to work well with their hands and small tools. Experience working in a laboratory environment is considered an asset but not required, training will be provided. HZPC Americas Corporation offers a competitive salary and benefits package. To explore this opportunity further, click here for a more detailed job description.